Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Reading, Writing and Machinery

I've been writing a series of SciFi stories about the new Diaspora of the children of Israel into the universe.  At first, I submitted them to a couple of traditional print publishers, with laughable results.  I did learn a bunch and proceeded to make several revisions, though.  This time, however, I have decided to publish electronically, using the new site, Smashwords (https://WWW. Smashwords.com/) to publish and distribute them.

This brings me to the subject of today's blog.  You have probably seen the ads on TV for various book reading devices, Kindle, Nook, etc.  Most of today's books are available in electronic format, some are only available that way.  Science Fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century predicted that we would be reading our books, magazines, and especially our newspapers electronically, although some thought we would be printing them on our home or office devices to read them.  No one that I can remember foresaw book devices, let alone for $129 or less.  Technology outstripped the best imaginations in SciFi.  I guess us poor, unimaginative techies have some imagination after all!

Print newspapers are being supplanted by on-line versions, print books are losing to electronic, magazines are starting up with no print versions, think of the trees we will save.

My mother is getting up there in years, and her eyesight is pretty poor.  She had to give up reading.  But now, with a Kindle or Nook, she can set the font to humongous and read the paper or magazine.  Now if I could just get over her fear of technology.  Any ideas?

BTW, my page on Smashwords is: https://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=solon+ben+earl
I write fiction under my pen name - (as is customary in my tribe, I am named after my paternal grandfather, Solon, and my father's first name was Earl, hence Solon Ben Earl, or Solon, son of Earl.)  I'm also known as Shipwreck Sam, for blogs and comments on internet articles.  If you come across my stuff, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment